[RE-wrenches] Voltage Degradation with Uni-Solar laminate

Allan Sindelar allan at sindelarsolar.com
Sun May 31 12:48:45 PDT 2015

Luke,
I have never worked with Uni-Solar laminates, although I expect to for the first time this summer, at 12,800' in the White-Inyo mountains, but that's another story. I installed one small cabin system with US64s in 1999 (the rancher wanted modules that would keep performing with a few vandals' bullet holes, which never happened) and they continue to perform as new.

So take my two comments with that disclaimer in mind. First, you measured only 63% of rated output. That's pretty low at the controller, even if the roof is hot. Could there be something else to search for as a cause?

Assuming it's indeed simply weak voltage, consider a Midnite Classic 200 or 250, to give the voltage window to allow repairing to a higher nominal input, maybe 72 or 96 volts, so that the charge voltage will always be higher than battery voltage.

Allan