[RE-wrenches] iron & aluminum

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri May 29 12:05:20 PDT 2015

I've seen a couple of homemade pole mounts that were really good, but
most are not properly designed.  Fabrication experience is good, but the
problems I've seen were design issues, not bad welding. (this goes for
commercial racks too)  Ground mounts are less prone to errors, but pole
mounts are actually relatively complicated designs.  One gusset missing,
and the whole thing could twist off the pole in a storm.
On the steel vs aluminum issue, it depends on the how wet it is.  In dry
climates I've seen painted steel last for decades.  In Hawaii, I've seen
painted steel completely gone in 5 years.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician