[RE-wrenches] FLA battery set points with larger arrays

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Mon May 25 12:49:50 PDT 2015

Steve,

Can you elaborate on how heat affects batteries that sit in float service
at high temperatures? What kind of cycle/capacity changes can we expect?
Say, for example, that a bank of S-530 batteries are 5 years old and have
spent days at 40C and nights at 25C, and have essentially been in float
service except for a couple dozen cycles to 50% over the years. If these
batteries are now put into regular daily cycles at the same temperatures,
would they act much differently than batteries that were stored at a
constant 25C?

I guess my question boils down to whether cycling during high temperatures
is more damaging than just being "stored" at high temperatures.

Thanks,

Jason