[RE-wrenches] FLA battery setpoints with larger arrays

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat May 23 13:01:37 PDT 2015

Hi Folks;

In our area, below 0F cold is definitely an issue, but I agree it does
extend battery life if it doesn't freeze.  From a design stand point you
can end up with a really large battery: double the size to account for
only discharging it 50% for freeze protection, then double it again
because it will only have half its capacity when cold.  Freezing is a
very real problem in subzero weather, and many charge controller's
default LVD (low voltage disconnect) settings are too low to adequately
protect the battery.  By the time we see the system, the acid has thawed
back out, leaked everywhere, and caused all sorts of additional havoc.
To be fair, this usually happens in systems with DC loads and no LVD.  I
once saw an indoor battery froze, it was the cell right next to the
battery vent, which was just a pipe straight through the wall.

Here's some #s for thought from the HUP manual:
Battery acid at 55% discharge can freeze at -15F, which corresponds to a
steady state voltage of about 12.0 v, on a 12 v system.  A standard LVD
set to shut off at 11v is too low in this case.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician