[RE-wrenches] FLA battery set points with larger arrays

Steve Higgins steve at surrette.com
Fri May 22 11:38:57 PDT 2015

Hey guys…

I’ve attached a white paper link that I’ve been working on(below)… This white paper has to do with Rolls Batteries and starting set points… The WP is prerelease and frankly I’m done looking at it as I need to move on to the next.   I don’t think that I’ll ever be accused of being a writer!

The next one will be addressing the changes you will need to make to Off-Grid system settings based on SG, and Load test measurements…   Just a note, I’ve tried to keep the system examples as generic as possible, thanks.
If you have any constructive, or even destructive criticism I will be happy to accept off list at steve at surrette.com<mailto:steve at surrette.com>.

The majority of the systems I see, the batteries are in a state of severe deficit cycling, and undercharged… The root of the problem is, every system the end users are all different, thus if you install the same system in 10 different locations you can get easily 5 different setups.

Yes, I too like to undersize the battery bank, and yes that does tend to use up more water than you would if you had a larger battery bank.   I personally would rather “use up” the battery rather than under use it and have to replace early anyway due to undercharging.

This is where flooded batteries are best… that is if you have the time you can play with the settings…

Adjusting Float voltage a bit higher 2.3vpc instead of 2.2vpc.  This will lower gassing rates, but a higher float voltage could shorten absorb times.

Higher Absorb Voltages, with shorter absorb times.. This will shorten the overall cycle, but may use up water faster…  In colder climates this could be an option.

Lower Absorb Voltage for longer periods. This will lengthen your overall absorb timers, but won’t go thru water as fast.

The gist is… there are many ways to charge a battery….  The bottom line is on systems where you are cycling the battery bank hard  every 1-2 days it’s a good idea to run thru a full absorb cycle about every 7-10 days…  On a system where you are cycling every 4-5 days you can go about 20-30 days between full absorb cycles.

Link to White Paper!..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxm8x7456n7g5cg/Technote%20System%20Settings%20for%20Flooded%20Off%20Grid.pdf?dl=0