[RE-wrenches] Milwaukee Sub Scanner versus Bosch D-Tect versus others?

Isaac Opalinsky David.Opalinsky at sunpower.com
Tue May 12 09:11:03 PDT 2015

August,

Taken today using Seek Thermal for Android.  $249 list.  11:15 AM, light overcast sky, ~80 ambient temp.  Architectural composition shingles on 15/32" OSB (and some plywood stitched in); 2x4 rafters.  Insulated ceilings (not rafters).

Definitely takes some practice to get the color scale correct, and really, you should have a partner so you can mark the rafters in real time by pointing to them in the IR image.  I've never had a chance to attempt the same procedure on tongue-in-groove, with timber frame, through SIP's, or in a cathedral ceiling.

Basically, this is an example of a really fancy, expensive tool working just as well as a hammer on this roof.  I too would like to hear of anyone using IR on a more challenging roof.

Isaac Opalinsky | Technical Trainer | SunPower Corporation