[RE-wrenches] Milwaukee Sub Scanner versus Bosch D-Tect versus others?

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Sun May 10 06:02:40 PDT 2015

We have tried a number of products.  The D-Tect is in amazing stud finder
but did very little on shingle roofs.  The mechanism by which you run it
across a surface is clearly not made for shingles.  It is basically a
$1000 sculpture on the top shelf in our shop.

I am still not aware of any great method for identifying rafters.

On Sun, May 10, 2015 12:40 am, SES wrote:
> Pleeeeease don't reply offlist.  I would kill for a rooftop rafter finder
> that points to anything but me.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

>> On May 9, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Mick Abraham <mick at abrahamsolar.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Hello, Mechanix~
>>

>> "Sub Scanner" was mentioned a couple of seasons back so I wonder if
>> those who "bought in" could "weigh in" with their opinions? My main
>> goal is to scan through composition shingles and find the trusses for
>> anchor points...with no goofs. Also I'd like to find wall studs when
>> scanning through synthetic stucco & exterior rigid foam insulation.
>>
>> Bosch D-Tect 150 is a more costly version in this glorified "stud
>> finder" category; that one seems to have a bigger display and no need
>> for calibration. Could I get user opinions on that?
>>
>> ...and then DeWalt had their version which picked up some bad reviews
>> and I think that was replaced with a new model so now I'm thoroughly
>> confused but looking for installer opinions on these type products.
>>
>> Contact me "off List" if there's an extra scanner-gizmo available for
>> purchase or for lease. Thanks in advance. The Wrench List is the Bomb!
>>
>> Mick Abraham, Proprietor
>> www.abrahamsolar.com
>>
>> Voice: 970-731-4675
>>

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org