[RE-wrenches] Tesla Powerwall battery paired with solar

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 06:03:46 PDT 2015

The Tesla media kit describes 2 models, a 7kwh and a 10kwh:

Tesla’s selling price to installers is $3500 for 10kWh and $3000 for 7kWh.
(Price excludes inverter and installation.) Deliveries begin in late Summer.

Powerwall specs:

   - Mounting: Wall Mounted Indoor/Outdoor
   - Inverter: Pairs with growing list of inverters
   - Energy: 7 kWh or 10 kWh
   - Continuous Power: 2 kW
   - Peak Power: 3.3 kW
   - Round Trip Efficiency: >92%
   - Operating Temperature Range: -20C (-4F) to 43C (110F)
   - Warranty: 10 years
   - Dimensions: H: 1300mm W: 860mm D:180mm

Nice price point, no info on the BMS or usable DOD.

Power only 2kW with peak of 3.3kW? Ouch, most off grid homes do better than
that. Also 7-10 kWh of energy storage would be fine for an small, efficient
off-grid home and conservative user, but my math shows only a few hours of
autonomy time for the typical American homeowner.

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342