[RE-wrenches] Question on Back up generators

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:50:10 PDT 2015

I don't understand the inference that you can only install an air cooled
propane high speed generator. Generac has a 15kW watercooled Diesel that
runs at 1800, these are nice units, inexpensive, aluminium enclosures and
should be very long life units.
http://gens.lccdn.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/generators/business-generators/protector-series/0k4729-protector-series-diesel-spec-sheet.pdf

The reason your ecogen takes a lot of standby power is the controller
includes the battery charger. If you don't keep the battery charged it is
not going to be very reliable. However, you could probably put a switch on
the T1 circuit to turn that off if you wanted to save the power, but the
generator won't auto start then. If you don't care about that, use a timer
to turn it on during daytime to charge the battery while there is sun.

I'll pass on the concern about high standby draw to Generac.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Dana <dana at solarwork.com> wrote:

> Hey All –
>

> I just got off of a phone call with my Onan generator supplier. Last
> conversation with Kohler was the same story basically.
>

> I was informed that their smallest water cooled generator, the RS22 (22
> KW) is now no longer “rated “for off grid. They actually called me to
> confirm that this generator was for backup power to a utility inter
> connected house. Tier 4 generators in the EPA CFR 40 is the Federal code
> what covers this, & you are allowed 100 hours of run time for standby power
> and maintenance per year.
>
> Q - Why am I using ridiculous sized generators for something that an
> 82-8300 watt generator does just fine?
>
> A - The EPA current requirements, a shrinking economy, & manufacturers
> that have to meet very expensive air quality compliance.
>
> The Penalty - If you get caught running a “standby power only” generator
> the fine is now $39,000 per day!
>
> Now I am far from a polluting kind of individual and all for air quality
> but this is getting the best of us. The 13KW air cooled generators are only
> good for 2000 hours, & the water cooled go 20 years of moderate usage but
> cost a boat load. I hate having the “Generator” talk with a new client they
> look at me like I am crazy. So the air cooled units are basically
> throwaways and the 22KW units are way more than we need and what a client
> needs to spend money on, unless you are at 10,000 ft el.
>

> If you figure 30 amps/120 VAC input per inverter +/- x 2 = 7.2KW plus say
> 10-15% fudge or elevation factors would require an 8200-8300 watt
> generator. Air cooled at 3600 RPM = 80 MPH & 1800 RPM = 40 MPH.  Even if
> the generator were a bit smaller, ran slow (1200-1800 rpm) and ran a bit
> longer that would be acceptable.
>
> So, why are we installing even 13KW air cooled or 22 KW water generators?
>
> There is a business opportunity here folks.
>

> What are you all installing?
>
> Why?
>
> Is it reliable?
>
> Would you use it on your house?
>

> Thanks for sharing all the wisdom and knowledge.

> *Dana Orzel*
>
> *Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136*
>
> *E* - dana at solarwork.com  - *Web* - solarwork.com
>
> *O* - 970.626.5253  *C *- 208.721.7003 - No FAX Line
>
> *"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"  *
>
> *P* Please consider the environment before printing this email.

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts