[RE-wrenches] Question on Back up generators

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Apr 9 07:17:44 PDT 2015

you wrote:

The Penalty - If you get caught running a “standby power only” generator
the fine is now $39,000 per day!

....you are allowed 100 hours of run time for standby power and
maintenance per year.
Can this really be true? Is there any clarification on this? Does this
mean that if a residence that was in a blackout that lasted a week ran the
generator the entire time, which would be three days or running over the
100 hour mark, the owner could be fined $117,000?

We had a 10 day blackout a few years back. With this scenario, everyone in
our village who ran generators would have lost their houses.