[RE-wrenches] Supply Side Interconnection - Parallel Conductors

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Thu Apr 9 06:15:55 PDT 2015

We just went through a similar scenario connecting between a 600A main
breaker and five subpanels that were tapped off conductors in a wiring
trough. In this case it was a load side interconnection, so the 120% rule
applied. We tapped the conductors in the trough and went to our solar
fusible disconnect. The parallel conductors in the trough needed to be
sized to carry no more than 120% of the load from the 600A main and the
150A solar disconnect, which required upsizing the conductors to 625A
parallel capacity. There was no issue with interconnecting with parallel
conductors from the solar disconnect as you suggested.

On the supply side you have it easier, not needing to comply with the 120%
rule. I don't think you will have any issue unless your PV inverter output
rating is greater than 600A!

Jason Szumlanski

Florida Solar Design Group