[RE-wrenches] Heat Exchangers Topic for Swimming Pools

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Mon Apr 6 10:12:05 PDT 2015

Unglazed solar pool heaters are typically sized based on surface area, not
gallons, because most of the heat loss occurs at the surface. They are
rated in daily BTU output, but the test condition rating can be deceiving.
You are really trying to overcome the loss of heat in the long-term, not
heat a particular volume of water. The amount of heating you need varies
with the weather, which causes the heat loss. 70k gallons is a very big
pool. Sounds like your pool is probably about 2000 sq ft. In sunny SW
Florida we shoot for 100% of the surface area. I'm not sure if we are
talking about an unglazed collector, but 25% coverage isn't going to put an
appreciable dent in the heating needs.

There are other sources of potential heat loss, like trenched feed and
return plumbing, low flow rates, features like waterfalls, spillovers, and
fountains, and others.

You may want to look at the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) resources
for solar pool heating:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/sizing.htm

Jason Szumlanski