[RE-wrenches] Gen preheat in cold climates

Tump tump at swnl.net
Fri Apr 3 16:32:06 PDT 2015

We have installed many low ambient temp propane genset and here are a few suggestions.  I would recommend underground 1k propane tank this allows constant 50* temp improves the evap rate of liquid propane and prevents fuel starvation /lean burn conditions due to low evap rates. Primary reg set for 10 lbs if the unit is say over 100' (this is calculated BTU consumption@ full load and pipe size,) then secondary regulator inside of gen shed with the vent of regulator outside. Zero synthetic weight oil and dual HD crank batteries. In severe climes there are times when a battery heater mounted close to the gen offers enough heat to aid in block heating. We also have installed electric louvered vents controlled by a thermostat. The Gen wizard also has inputs for low starter battery voltage start settings, additionally there start on low water/block, low gen room start temps to.  Sometimes we have reset the gen start attempts from 3 to 5.
Propane in the ground would be my first recommendation then syn oil and dual batteries.