[RE-wrenches] outback radian question

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:09:36 PDT 2015

I wanted to expand on my prior post.  Attached is a capture from a job
where the CFL and LED lights in the house kept burning out.  The generator
was suspected (they always seemed to fail after the generator ran), but its
voltage and frequency read "normal"on my Fluke 87, even a little bit low.
The red trace is the current, the blue is the voltage.  Note the voltage
line runs off the page -- yep, the loads were seeing over 200v line to
neutral, 400 L-L when charging due to the way that inverter and that
generator's regulation circuit fought.  I backed off the charging current
until the peak voltage came back within line, there was still a spike but
it wasn't sooo distorted.

O'scopes and generators.  Darned handy.

Phil