[RE-wrenches] Recommendation for torque tools

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Thu Mar 19 10:19:22 PDT 2015

Bill:

We use inexpensive, generic torque wrenches.  It is my impression that
accuracy in torque settings is not crucial.  We discovered that if we wrench
tighten and come back to verify with the torque tool, we have consistently
torqued at a somewhat but not significantly greater value than the tool
would have.  This tells me that hand tightening is not all that bad.

What is a bigger concern is missing critical bolts in the torqueing process.
We have developed some guidelines for this procedure:  We go back and
re-torque every bolt.  No talking or interruptions are allowed while doing
this.  Every crew member is assigned a specific colored felt pen and every
nut must be marked.

William