[RE-wrenches] Recommendation for torque tools

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:07:03 PDT 2015

Bill

I like the CDI product line <http://www.cditorque.com/> and use a dual
scale dial indicator model for larger fasteners and their driver for
smaller electrical connections.  Good quality and pricing.  They contract
produce for SnapOn ( owned by them now) and have had their own line now for
quite awhile.  I prefer the dial indicator over click style to keep from
over torquing the connection, especially stainless on aluminum rails!  They
also sell calibration tool that you can use in the shop to check when you
might need to send it in for re-calibration.  I believe that it is not as
critical with the dial indicators because it is using a bending beam to
measure rather than a spring clik mechanism.  Since I do 3rd party
commissioning I do check my calibration at the shop before after each job
to insure accuracy.  It is becoming common practice to check torques on
electrical connections by using a thermal camera while under loads to
identify connections that need re-torquing to keep from over torquing and
busting off connectors.  Loose connections show a significant higher
temperature than tight ones.

Bill

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Bill Loesch <solar1online at charter.net>
wrote:

> Wrenches,
>
> Do you have a favorite brand/model of torque wrenches when assembling
> mounts to manufacturer's specs? How do you handle calibration?
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Bill Loesch
> Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar