[RE-wrenches] Off Grid Alarm

drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Feb 12 10:43:57 PST 2015

The alarm system is already set up. It involves and Idec ice cube relay
with a 240 V coil connected between L-1 AND L-2 of the AC in bus bars.
When the grid drops out, the relay reverts to the N/C position, allowing a
120 V contact to send power to a box in the dining room (that has the
indicator light on it).

I've done this before, and it works well. The only issue with this one is
that the client wants to have an audible alarm as well as the light.

Doorbell buzzers (according to tech support) will burn out if left on, and
would make a lot of racket. Chimes are one shot ding dongs.

We may try to find an old fashion radio that you can plug in (and leave
on) and have it go on as soon as its attachment cord is energized. A CHEAP
device that would create some sound is all we are looking for.

Thanks,

Drake

Try your local alarm company?