[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shut Down and the 10 Second Rule Questions

Christopher Warfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Mon Feb 2 07:34:14 PST 2015

We have a interpretation problem among some people I work with with,
and  690.12 Rapid Shut Down and the the 10 second time for reducing ac
and dc conductors to 240ma, and 30V.  The word "initiation" seems to
indicate that all affected conductors need to be at these levels within
10 seconds of de-energizing either the ac or dc conductors. If so, then
the disconnects need to be co-located to meet this requirement if this
interpretation is correct.

I have read Mr. Brook's article in Solar Pro, but AHJs may feel
differently.

Would anyone care to weigh in on their interpretation?

Thank you, Chris

--
Christopher Warfel, President
ENTECH Engineering, Inc.