[RE-wrenches] Off Grid Inverter Replacement Questions

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 21:48:16 PST 2015

On a similar but slightly different note, has anyone tried the Outback
"mini" Radian 4048? The Mate3?
The half size Radian still costs more than the Magnum PAE, and the Mate3 +
Flexnet-DC+Hub etc. cost way more than the Magnum remote and battery
monitor.

I stopped using Outback a few years back because of the non-intuitive old
remote that inquisitive clients could accidentally re-program; the Mate3
looks like a great improvement though. Haven't tried it.

Interesting that the Big Three all have approx 4kW 48VDC 120/240 units
available now.

I love the Magnum remotes, I have successfully walked a client through some
serious inverter and gencharger settings changes via satellite SMS texting
to them in their wilderness, when I had no users manual available. "Until
you click in the big black button, you are just browsing, no worries" etc.
And just install the cheap Magnum battery monitor and it suddenly appears
on the remote as % SOC....after a couple charge/discharges where it says
"Thinkin..." customers love that.

But how accurate is it? How does it compare to the Bogart gear, and the
Midnite Whizbang? I've just started some testing on my home guinea pig
system to try and get some data. Will report here.

How does the new mini Radian compare with the Magnum PAE on
surge......lights flickering when the fridge turns on, etc? Of course on
the Magnum it's ugly with a 12v, noticeable with a 24v and minor with a 48v
in my experience so far.

Off the grid, and the more remote the install, the more I feel "married" to
these systems. Just asking for any info to file away for future "pre-nups"

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342