[RE-wrenches] Fastening of Backfed Breakers

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Fri Nov 13 14:05:51 PST 2015

NEC 2011 - one inspectors misinterpretation of the code below for your
amusement and comments. I have to admit that 705.12(D)(6) is somewhat
ambiguous. Appropriate use of commas by code writers would be very helpful.
I was able to find Mike Holt's guide that clears it up, so hopefully that
will do the trick.

>From the inspector:

​
I am sending this e-mail to straighten out the confusion and lay out the
requirements of the 2011 NEC requirements which now govern solar
photovoltaic breaker requirements.

Any back fed breaker is required to be secured in accordance with 2011 NEC
408.36 (D) which says:

*Back-Fed Devices.*  Plug -in type overcurrent protection devices or plug
in type main lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field
–installed ungrounded supply conductors shall be secured in place by an
additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device
from the mounting means on the panel.

This is also reiterated in the solar photovoltaic article 2011 NEC 690.10
(E) which says:

*Back-fed Circuit Breakers.*  Plug-in type back-fed circuit breakers
connected to a stand-alone inverter output in either stand-alone or
utility-interactive systems shall be secured in accordance with 408.36(D).
Circuit breakers that are marked line or load shall not be backfed.

*NEC 2011 Article*
*​​*
*705.12(D)(6) does not say what you have sent.  This is what it says Word
for Word:*

*Fastening.*  Listed plug-in type circuit breakers backfed from
utility-interactive inverters that are listed and identified as interactive
shall be permitted to omit the additional fastener normally required by
408.36(D) for such applications.

What this article says is that if the manufacturer has gotten his breaker
UL listed and the breaker is identified as interactive it may be used
without a hold down device.

Again in conclusion a breaker may be used if it has been certified and
listed by the manufacturer and is marked interactive.  If you can find a
listed and interactive identified breaker then you may use it without
having to secure it in place as required by 408.36(D).  All parties
involved have been sent the above attached document which very nicely
explains the new requirements but I will attach it again just in case you
happened to have lost it.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to contact me.