[RE-wrenches] Preppers - Fears sells perspective

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Mon Oct 26 09:25:21 PDT 2015

Hey All (esp. you all newer to the solar field & not well versed in battery
systems –

‘Been quietly sitting this last discussion out on equipment on battery
backup & Peppers’.

I know there are a lot of designer/installer getting into batteries for the
first time and a lot of their experience is based in the grid intertie start
in the solar field.

I have the overall experience (since ’88) that managing the expectations of
what a battery based system will and will not do. The obvious are electric
stoves, heat, & water devices and let’s add electric cars to that list now
too. That said, battery system design is completely another field from the
grid tie market.

Whether the Sh#$%^t hits the fan or not doing your job with integrity and
thoroughness is critical. Life goes on and in a few years they are going to
sitting there with a pile of equipment that if it was not correctly sized
could affect your reputation which will still be on the line, and believe me
you will hear from these folks. This ain’t the hook it up & walk away
market, they will require more care that you are used to applying to a GT
client.

I have to stress that doing the numbers and a really accurate load
evaluation, looking at short and long term expectations, & best case / worst
case scenarios is a really safe place to start. If you cannot verify your
design with good math and meet their requests do not go there. If they
cannot afford their evaluation DONOT cheap it down, Walk away - Fear sells
and some of these folks are running so deep in fear it is almost a comedy if
it were not so sad. You need to look beyond the short term profit and look
at your reputation down the road.

Another item – These folks take a lot of your energy in all their “what if”
scenarios. Have them list (in writing & keep this in their file) what is
critical to them. They tend to change their minds as they peruse the
internet & talk with the like minded crew. If they shift have them put their
change in request in writing again. What you started out designing may turn
180° in a night. Get equipment paid for in advance period. Be careful with
credit card purchases on big systems, I know of folks that are counting on
the credit card system crashing and are racking up huge purchase counting on
the crash. I had someone offer half price on a system in Gold bars as “it is
going to more than triple” right, I am not going there personally.

I have visited with folks now long gone that their parents were getting
ready for the same end of society stuff 50-60 years ago & then there were
the atomic fallout shelters, & then Y2K. I got offered an entire 18 wheeler
of freeze dried food after Y2K. My body shudders to think what that would do
to your digestive track.

Been there & done that – I spent “88 to “95 of my solar career doing just
this. It takes a lot out of you.

Best to you all In joy & Keep on putting the sun to work.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136

E - dana at solarwork.com  - Web - solarwork.com

O - 970.626.5253  C - 208.721.7003

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"