[RE-wrenches] wiring methods between arrays

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Aug 11 15:19:51 PDT 2015

Hi Wrenches,

I have another best practices questions: what are you doing to run your PV
wire between arrays on a rooftops? This question has come up on this list
in the past but I’m still on the hunt for a robust and faster lower cost
method. We mostly install outdoor boxes on each sub array and then run EMT
between these boxes. We use strain reliefs to enter the boxes and then
either keep PV wire or transition to THWN-2 in the EMT depending on the
layout.  This method takes time and the outdoor boxes aren’t cheap.
Alternatively, we can run open-ended EMT with ground bushings on the ends
to bond the conduit. Since ground bushings are designed to be used in boxes
we switch out the aluminum lug with a tin-coated outdoor rated lug and
stainless hardware. This technically violates the listing but at least the
materials hold up. The EMT needs to be carefully bent down at the ends so
rain doesn’t enter. Lastly, we sometimes run our PV wires along strut or
angle aluminum (this is the fastest method) which also needs to be bonded
with a lay-in lug.

Does anyone have other methods?

Best,

August