[RE-wrenches] East-West arrays with single MPPT

Greg greg at remotepowerinc.com
Fri Jul 31 14:40:10 PDT 2015

Wrenches,

I ran across this article titled "Efficient East-West Orientated PV
Systems with One MPP Tracker".  by Dietmar Staudacher
http://www.interpv.net/tech/tech_print.asp?idx=418&part_code=030140054

He tested thin film and crystalline PV.  It's a pretty good read. He
found that the V on the I-V curve stays pretty constant until you get
down to pretty low irradiation.  In short his conclusion was you would
lose less than 1% if you had equal size arrays, 180 out from each other,
E-W at the same tilt angle.  Less wire, less inverter, almost the same
power.

I searched this list for "east west" and only found a couple posts on
modeling multi-plane arrays so I'm thinking maybe this is worth
posting.  If anyone has any practical experience with this I'd be
interesting in hearing what your results were.  I've got an off grid
customer that has data for everything.  I'll probably try it at his
place and see what happens.

Thanks to all of you,

Greg Egan
Remote Power Inc.