[RE-wrenches] Rodent/Pigeon/Critter Guards

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Wed Jul 22 13:00:29 PDT 2015

Wrenches,
I've looked and found a few older threads on the topic but thought it is a
good time to refresh our collective info on this as we are getting more
requests to install these (and it is also going to be required by code on
some systems when our province adopts the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code.
We currently use the 2012 code)

The issue that we are directly addressing is mostly pigeons hanging
out/nesting under rooftop arrays, for now.  I haven't heard of any specific
rodent issues in our region.

I have installed the SnapNRack Edge Screen.  This was on a concrete tile
roof so the problem i saw with that was the screen did not contour the
tile, leaving a small gap where one tile overlaps the one below it, roughly
25mm (1").  This would not be an issue with keeping out pigeons, but i
could imagine that a persistent rodent could squeeze its way thru the small
gap.  This would not be an issue on the more common asphalt shingle roofs
and i would say it is a solid product.

The products i'm aware of are:
SnapNRack
Kinetic
Heyco
spiffysolar
solatrim.com

Kinetic, Heyco, and Spiffy each seem to be basically the same; wire mesh
and a j-hook that attaches to the module frame.

SnapNRack is wire mesh but attaches with a more more robust clip that also
provides more vertical support to the mesh. (It was suggested that rodents
may be able to push under the mesh when its only supported at the top with
j-hooks)

I've seen the wire mesh installed so that it comes down only as far as the
roof, so the height of the mesh is essentially the height from the top of
the mod frame to the roof surface, but i have also seen it where the mesh
is taller than this and the excess (rather than being trimmed to size)
comes down and lays out on the roof in an outward direction.  It was
suggested that this may be more of a deterrent to rodents that would
otherwise push their way under the mesh if it only comes down to meet the
roof.
Comments/Suggestions?

The last product mentioned, solatrim, is completely different from the
rest. It looks much more solid that the rest and uses a peel-and-stick
approach using a 3M adhesive tape.  My first and only initial apprehension
with this one is the adhesive.  While 3M makes darn good adhesives, it
leaves to question how it will hold up against our seasonal ambient
temperature swings of above +30degC to below -40degC.  Their spec sheet
states it is good btwn -34.4degC to 149degC. So for me to even try it would
not be within the mfgr's specs :(

What products have you used?  What did you like/dislike about them?

Cheers,

*Benn Kilburn *
CSA Certified Solar Photovoltaic Systems Electrician, SkyFire Energy Inc
6706 – 82 Ave NW | Edmonton, AB | T6B 0E7
P: 780-474-8992 | F: 888-405-5843 | www.skyfireenergy.com
[image: email] <benn at skyfireenergy.com> [image: facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: twitter]
<https://twitter.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: linkedin]