[RE-wrenches] Fw: Xantrex C-40 Drifting

Jarmo.Venalainen at schneider-electric.com Jarmo.Venalainen at schneider-electric.com
Tue May 19 09:31:04 PDT 2015

Hi:

I didn't know that there were systems out there where a PWM charge
controller such as the C-40 was producing an unhealthy, high battery
voltage.  Since there are, I may have a possible explanation.

The C-series and other PWM type charge controllers operate by PWM whereby
they very very quickly connect/disconnect the solar module to the battery
bank.  The amount of time which the module is connected to the array is
the PWM on-period.  These controllers do not have the ability to "smooth
out" the output voltage.  All they can do is apply the full module voltage
OR not apply any module voltage to the battery.  Here are some graphs that
show this,

It 's supposed to work out when the battery absorbs, smooths out and
averages the output voltage pulses coming out of the PWM controller.

Except, I'm hearing that, that is not necessarily true.  It sounds like on
some systems the batteries will not average voltage very well over time
and indeed experience increasing and undesirably high terminal voltages
over time.

If this is the mechanism, I think one way alleviate or perhaps even
eliminate the rising voltage problem is by matching the module Voc voltage
to the desired battery float voltage.  For example, if a 28 VDC float
voltage was desired, then the solar module Voc should be chosen as
something slightly above 28 VDC.

i.e. I think the trick is to match the module Voc voltage to the desired
battery float voltage.  Perhaps a 32 Voc module for a 28 VDC float
voltage.

I'm not sure what the right number is, but if I'm correct about this
mechanism, then a 50 Voc module on a 12 VDC battery, should the kind of
system which experiences this overcharging/over voltage problem.

You guys have seen many systems.  Maybe you can comment on whether the
systems which have had this trouble are also ones where the module Voc is
much higher than the desired battery float voltage.  Perhaps the "trouble
systems" also tend to have a specific battery chemistry or even particular
battery type.

JARMO

Jarmo Venalainen  |   Schneider Electric   |  Xantrex Brand  |   CANADA  |
  Sales Application Engineer
Phone: +604-422-2528  |   Tech Support: 800-670-0707  |   Mobile:
+604-505-0291
Email: jarmo.venalainen at schneider-electric.com  |   Site: www.Xantrex.com
|   Address: 3700 Gilmore Way, Burnaby, BC V5G4M1

*** Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

----- Forwarded by Jarmo Venalainen/Canada/Schneider on 05/18/2015 07:02
PM -----