[RE-wrenches] Tesla Powerwall battery paired with solar

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri May 1 15:49:50 PDT 2015

Hi Wrenches,

I’m sure you’ve seen the Tesla Powerwall press releases by now:

http://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/teslaenergy

We are already getting calls from interested homeowners. The product mostly
seems like a toy for wealthy people but nonetheless I would like to be
educated in how it works.

There is mention that the battery pairs with Solar Edge inverters which
makes sense because both the Powerwall and Solar Edge work off of ~350
VDC.  But, I can’t figure out how off grid operation would work during
power outages. Maybe another battery inverter like a Schneider Conext is
required?

Any thoughts on this product for better or worse?

Best,

August