[RE-wrenches] flushing DHW collectors

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Fri Apr 17 10:21:14 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have an older 10 collector system in which the glycol has stagnated due to
a defective collector sensor, apparently for some time. I was able to drain
the collectors, the cooked glycol is black with a good bit of sediment. I
tried to flush the system with water but my ½ hp utility pump could not pump
the water entirely through the collectors. Suction slowed down and stopped
after just a few gallons, as if the pump couldn’t overcome the effective
head of the system. I had no problem using this pump to charge the loop when
it was commissioned. I suspect the collectors may be gummed up with cooked
glycol. I guess compressed air is next to try. Are there any safe chemicals
to use to purge / un-gum the collectors? Thanks.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

Proven PV provider since 1991

www.vermontsolarnow.com