[RE-wrenches] Gen preheat in cold climates

Gary Higbee gary at windstreamsolar.com
Thu Apr 2 19:47:41 PDT 2015

Wrenches,

I'm curious what strategies you use to preheat a propane gen in cold climates. This is a large off-grid design in a sub-zero winter climate and ideal would be to turn on a block heater an hour or two in advance, then run the gen cycle. We plan to use either a Schneider XW or Outback Radian configuration (still very interested in which you'd use and why). We could set up a logic/relay system to first send the gen request to the heater for a while and then turn off and initiate a gen cycle but that would eliminate the ability for autostart on short notice. I've read of heat lamps on a thermostat, just wondering if you have seen other solutions.

Thanks!

Gary