[RE-wrenches] SMA SI/Midnite enclosure

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Fri Feb 13 11:15:23 PST 2015

Tom:

Look at the panorama at the bottom of this page:

http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Commercial/RM/Equipment_room.html

Notice that we need to run battery cables through about 10 feet of gutter to the furthest left Sunny Island.  If I had used the Midnite Sunny Island interface boxes the OCPD contained therein would have been at the end of this cable run.  I thought this a poor idea.

Look at the photo at the bottom of this page and click on it for a full size view:

http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Commercial/RM/Batteries.html

Note that there is a lot of battery cabling to correctly combine the three battery strings.  Although I have bolted Class T fuses to battery flags before, there are problems with that approach:

1.    In this case that would mean a lot of fuses.

2.    Fuses are not meant to be mechanical supports for 4/0 cable.

3.    If you blow a fuse bolted to a battery flag replacing one is tedious and done in a dangerous environment.

Instead, we try to locate breaker OCPD devices as close to the batteries as possible and run all cabling carefully and protected in conduit.  If you look at the panorama in the top photo, the FX1000 cabinet can be seen in the corner.  This is just on the other side of the wall from the batteries and the upstream cable run is short and direct to the breakers.

This was our best compromise for this project and is typical of how we deal with this challenge.

William