[RE-wrenches] Whisper Controller Conversion

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 05:55:39 PST 2015

Hello wrenches,

Yesterday, we converted a Whisper 200 over from 24V to 48V operation.  We
lowered the turbine and rewired it.  We set the Dip switches in the
controller (1 & 2 to off) and rewired the dump load as specified in the
manual.  For some reason, when we put the 55V battery voltage to the
controller, it smoked it.  We triple checked all of our connections and
settings.  Everything looks like the manual specifies.

Luckily for us, we happen to have a spare Whisper controller that I can
give this guy.  If it was a fluke and the controller just had a bad
component, fine, no problem.  However, I'd like to know if I'm missing
something about the 48VDC conversion before we smoke another one.  Are
there known issues, operating this controller at 48V?

Any insights are appreciated.  Thanks, in advance.

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*