[RE-wrenches] Programmable Battery Charger

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon Dec 15 17:45:17 PST 2014

Larry,

I have not found a battery charger nearly as programmable as the chargers
in inverters are, and I've sold a number of inverters over the years which
were destined to be used strictly as battery chargers.

This is actually a great use for modified-square-wave inverters. The
Magnum RD2212 has a 110A charger section, and is relatively inexpensive. I
doubt that you would find a better deal, even with the added cost of the
Magnum remote unit you will need to program it. Magnum has smaller 12V
inverter/chargers too, of course.

Also a great use for old Trace SW inverters, if you can find an SW2512. I
measured the charging efficiency of an SW4024 once and came up with 72%.
Not bad at all, for a battery charger.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar