[RE-wrenches] Passive Battery Venting

Starlight Solar Power Systems, larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Oct 29 08:13:00 PDT 2014

I too saw that these were AGMS. The only time excess H venting happens is with severe over voltage for a period of time. How often will this happen? Have any battery wrenches experienced high volume venting of AGM’s?

Our experience: There is no NEC requirements for mobile installations. We have installed over 1000 AGM battery banks with only passive venting some with very little air exchange.  Out of all our installs over the last 12 years, the only AGM battery venting I know of is when a customer adjusted his charge controller to 3 Vpc. This caused gassing and thermal run away, melting the side of the Deka AGM battery case.

For off grid systems, we provide a simple 2” vertical PVC pipe from the battery box for H gas to escape. My opinion: The cost is low and the risk very low if your customer understands the proper operation.

Larry