[RE-wrenches] Pathfinder vs. Suneye

Mark Richardson MRichardson at NewYorkLightEnergy.com
Wed Oct 29 04:55:06 PDT 2014

Dana,
I have never compared these two side-by-side, but I do know from experience that it is critical to use the proper cropping margins when transferring images in to the Pathfinder Assistant Software.
Slight changes in the margins of the field photographs of the Pathfinder tool can have a significant impact on the available access numbers.
If you have never tried it, play around with different margins using the same photo and you'll see what I mean.
Refer to the manual for the proper location of the crop (from p. 30 of Version 5, 2011):
"There are four crop handles (left, top, right, bottom). These handles should be dragged so that the translucent box frames the outside of the plastic Pathfinder housing."
Mark

[USLE Email Signature (240x42)]
Mark Richardson
Production Manager
CELL: 518-965-4148

From: RE-wrenches [mailto:re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf Of Allan Sindelar
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:38 PM
To: RE-wrenches
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Pathfinder vs. Suneye

Dana,
I'm not going to answer your question directly, but rather I'd like to add to Ray's comments. In short. use the SunEye for grid tie work; use the Pathfinder for off grid. If you don't do off grid (most installers don't any more, if they ever did) don't bother with the Pathfinder. Off grid seldom if ever deals with multiple roof angles, as modules aren't typically mounted on roofs.

Details:
1. Grid tie is competitive, so you want the most accurate estimate of production. I believe the SunEye is more accurate, or at least more "liberal" in its output.
2. Your competitors will most likely use the SunEye, so you'll need to offer its level of apparent professionalism, as well as match their output projections.
3. For off grid, I want the inherent conservatism of the Pathfinder; for grid-tie, not so much. I have almost zero history of customers' off grid systems being undersized, in large part because of the inherent conservatism of the Pathfinder, combined with our 37º latitude, as Ray mentioned (meaning we're at the outer edge of the 6º latitude template spread), and also combined with our high-elevation, dry-air insolation often exceeding the standard 1,000 w/m2. Together this meant that my systems typically and routinely exceeded their projected output. Nobody has ever complained about that.
4. Grid tie customers never go on the roof with the designer/salesperson to look at a sunpath chart. They just want the results - a PV system that looks good and saves them money. Off gridders are usually way more involved in the design and customer education process. The Pathfinder sunpath chart is so simple to read that doing charts while picking an array site is a shared part of the educational part of the design/sales process. So it leads to the treasured "ah-hah!" moment when the client really gets what's going on, and gets fully engaged in the design of "their" system in the process.

They're two different tools serving completely different purposes. I prefer the analog nature of the Pathfinder, but not for the usual and predictable reasons.

Allan Sindelar
www.sindelarsolar.com<http://www.sindelarsolar.com>
Allan Sindelar
allan at sindelarsolar.com<mailto:allan at sindelarsolar.com>
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
505 780-2738 cell