[RE-wrenches] Pathfinder vs. Suneye

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Oct 28 14:32:27 PDT 2014

I've not done a side by side comparison, but the Pathfinder seems to be
slightly conservative, especially depending on which latitude sheet you
are using.  I sometimes switch sheets and try both, when the latitude is
close to falling between (ie 37 deg, and there is 37 to 43 sheet or a 31
to 37 sheet)   Checking against actual sun locations at the solstices,
it seems to be close, but I think they would rather err on the side of
caution.
I've used the Path finders for decades, and find them ideal for
discussing shading issues on site with the customer, as every one can
look at it at the same time.
For more complicated shading analysis, I can see the Suneye being more
useful.  Depending on the situation, I could see using both, but the
Pathfinder is better for off grid, as we don't have accurate insolation
values at these remote locations, so detailed analysis has limited value
anyway.  We're primarily looking at which trees need to be trimmed.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician