[RE-wrenches] Code reference request

Gary Willett Gary at IcarusSolarServices.com
Tue Oct 28 11:22:38 PDT 2014

Kirk:

A DC grounding electrode conductor (GEC) is not required for inverters
that do NOT have a ground reference for the PV+ and PV- conductor(s)
from the PV array.

A GEC is not required if the string inverter is one of the new TL
(transformerless) types.  Also, this applies to micro-inverters such as
the new Enphase M250 and later versions of the M215.

Where this applies, only a properly sized equipment grounding conductor
(EGC) is required.

The EGC is sized according to [NEC 690.45] and can be a minimum of
#14AWG when not exposed to damage, or #6AWG when exposed to potential
damage.

Regards,

Gary Willett PE
Icarus Engineering LLC