[RE-wrenches] Mitsubishi Mini Split fighting with Outback VFX Off Grid

Mike Sullivan zarmot at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 17:00:52 PDT 2014

Hi Dan,

I think the waveform problem Ray describes can most likely be resolved by installing a filter capacitor at the AC input terminals of the heat pumps. A small film cap (1 or 2 uF?) will function with the resistance and inductance of the branch circuit wiring to create a low-pass filter that will soften up those sharp edges of the 60 Hz waveform and provide a much cleaner zero crossing.

There's a huge difference between installing a small cap for filtering purposes and installing a large capacitor (or capacitor bank) to try and correct a lagging power factor. Might be worth a check-in with Outback tech support to get their blessing with this approach, but it should be a cheap and effective fix.

Cheers,

Mike Sullivan
Solar Design
Crestone, CO