[RE-wrenches] Quantifying power quality, 50 mf capacitor

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 07:27:47 PDT 2014

Hello Ray,

The "capacitor across the load" trick works in some cases where mod-square-waves are involved, and where high harmonic content is present.  You're effectively creating something of a "low pass filter", and taking a bit of the edge off of the square waves.  A capacitor isn't needed for a true sine wave inverter because the harmonic content is very low already.

As Larry mentioned in his post, he wired the capacitor across the load in a manner that when the load was disconnected, so was the capacitor.  If you're going to do it .. that's the best way, but be careful just the same.  Leaving a capacitor of that size connected at all times is a bad idea.  I won't go into detail as to the "why?", but suffice to say such explanation is complicated.  In simple terms, if an inductive load causes a lagging power factor of X, and a capacitor of appropriate value connected in parallel with the inductive load results in an [essentially] unity power factor, then when the inductive load is disconnected, and the capacitor isn't, you end up with a leading power factor of X .. which is just as bad as the inductive load by itself.  That said, a capacitor connected across a mod-square wave inverter will tend to "soften" the square edges somewhat, and may make certain loads "happier" .. but the effect on the inverter isn't
 predictable, particularly where the AC output voltage control circuits are concerned.

To say you've been amazingly lucky would be appropriate.

Dan