[RE-wrenches] Microfractures in PV Modules

jay peltz jay at asis.com
Sat Oct 4 11:04:53 PDT 2014

Hi Chris,

There are a number of test methods, but the best two are.
Electroluminescence imagining   ELI
thermal imaging  IR

From what I read at Photon, the ELI is the best for micro cracks before they really happen.
After they are visible, thermal imaging can be helpful.

As to it being a real issue, I believe so.  The cause has not been confirmed, but contributing factors are:
cell thickness
manufacturing handling
shipping/packing
field handling.

For example I've seen IR photos that show a hand print damage in the middle of module.  Or damage that sure looks like it would have been from a shoulder pressing on a cell area ( carrying it like a sheet of plywood).

If you are looking for someone who can do these field tests, contact me off site,

jay

peltz power