[RE-wrenches] Rapid shutdown questions

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Aug 28 14:28:33 PDT 2014

So this would make sense that this Rapid Shut down provision would cover
all generator backup systems too, not just solar.
Considering auto start backup generators have been around for many
decades, I have a few questions:
1) Does NEC 2014 require Rapid shutdown for all generator systems, or is
solar once again being singled out for additional requirements not
applied to everyone else?
2) What is the history of fire fighting and backup generators?  It seems
that there would be much more long term experience, than a hand full of
incidents in the solar industry.
3) What about portable generators, and folks back feeding the grid or
house with little to no protection at all.  Are there safety precautions
that fire fighters take to make sure a neighbor isn't powering up lines
down the street?  I've seen too many male to male extension cords, so I
know this is real issue, that can't be prevented by the NEC code alone.
Basically any idiot can go to Home depot and create a very dangerous
situation quickly.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,