[RE-wrenches] Rapid shutdown questions

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 08:45:07 PDT 2014

Hi Mac, all;
Since Colorado just adopted NEC2014 July 1, I have not heard any AHJ
stories yet. But look at 690.12 (1):
"Requirements for controlled conductors shall apply only to PV system
conductors of more than 5 ft in length inside a building, OR more than 10
ft from a PV array."
(my emphasis on "OR")

I interpret this to mean that if a ground mount array is more than 10 ft
from the building, then any PV circuits that run up the outside of the
building from their trench  (for example to penetrate the wall to the power
center on the inside) must be controlled because they are "on" the
building. And even if you penetrated right from the trench into the crawl
space, then up to the power center on the inside wall, with less than 5 ft
distance, still needs to be controlled if the array is more than 10 feet
from the building because of that "OR"

The logic and safety advantage of this for firefighters is another topic
entirely. As a first-arriving firefighter, I would spot the PV racks on the
ground, walk over to them, and throw the disconnects on the nicely-labeled
combiner boxes located within 10 feet of the array.

All thoughts appreciated, still puzzling this out.

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
Otherpower
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342