[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island battery cable setup

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Aug 25 16:45:14 PDT 2014

Friends:

I have checked out the Midnite purpose-made BOS cabinets for Sunny Island inverters.  My problem is they must be co-located with the inverters.  The OCPD needs to be closer to the batteries than this usually allows.  If your inverters are mounted on an interior wall with the batteries directly on the other side, these may work out OK because your battery leads will be short.

I forget if the Midnite panels have AC distribution.  I have divorced myself from using any sort of AC distribution built by RE manufacturers.  I am weary of making custom leads for QOU breakers and trying shoehorn too much into an FX1000,  Radian or Midnite BOS cabinet, for example.  We use only off-the-shelf load centers.  They are a good value due to economy of scale.  We provide one each for inverter fed, generator fed and mini-grid or grid fed, if present.  Bypassing can be done easily with factory or custom made interlocks.  (I know custom made interlocks are not listed hardware but I can’t seem to find fault with such a simple device.)

See the following link for some details on how this can be done.  By the way, if you are transferring more than 100 amps you really need to use commercial grade panels.  We see the main lugs used as a house feeder but this has always bothered me.

http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Commercial/Red_Mountain/Red_Mountain.html

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985