[RE-wrenches] Sunpower off grid?

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Aug 21 13:26:55 PDT 2014

Hello Ray,

I have been installing SunPower cell modules for about a decade. All of our mobile installations are ungrounded arrays, off grid we use negative ground. We have never had any issue using them to charge batteries up to 48 volts, even when combined in series. I have not installed any for grid tie.

Last year I purchased about 100 of the 327 and 435 Watt modules, likely from the same seller, for a very low price. There is no SunPower label on the back. I was told that these modules were laminates that SunPower rejected due to cosmetic flaws. The surface has lots of blemishes clearly visible under the glass. Someone other than SunPower made frames and assembled the module. The frame quality is not so great and the 435 structurally feels inadequate. I sell these to off grid customers in Mexico that want cheap but high performance PV solar power.

That’s all...

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems