[RE-wrenches] Ct Utility test requirement?

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 10:42:47 PDT 2014

Al,
I have witnessed this test in NC several times, but with medium voltage
connected systems, not systems connected to a building service.  A medium
voltage subcontractor used a disconnect stick to open one phase at a time
at the fused cutout point of delivery to the distribution network (on the
high side of the transformers) . We learned to do the test early in the
morning with the array divided in subsections to keep the current as low as
possible at the POD because there is an arc pulled when one phase is
opened.

The phase current was being monitored during the test to insure that the
inverters stopped exporting current to the other two phases when one phase
was lost.
It's been awhile, so there may be a better/safer way to do this test for MV
connected systems now that I'm not aware of...would be happy to hear about
it if so.

If this is a PV system connected to a building service this wouldn't be the
way to do this test.
Cheers,
Rebekah Hren

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Allen Frishman <amfrish at aeonsolar.com>
wrote:

> Wrenchers,
> The Ct Utility company CL&P requires the following as part of the
> verification test.
> "Because this is a three-phase service, the witness test must also
> demonstrate that the inverter shuts down upon loss of each individual phase"
>
> Any recommendations on how to do this test safely?
>
> *Al Frishman*
> AeonSolar
>
> *(917) 699-6641 <%28917%29%20699-6641> - cell*
> *(888) 460-2867 <%28888%29%20460-2867>*
> *www.aeonsolar.com <http://www.aeonsolar.com/>*

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
NC Licensed Electrical Contractor