[RE-wrenches] GT with batteries in Calif.

Bruce Erickson bruce at mendocinosolar.com
Thu Jul 3 08:56:30 PDT 2014

Hi Wrenches,

Here is the only info I've seen regarding NEM with batteries in California. It's a May 15 news post from CALSEIA, which Brad allowed me to post here.

One problem clearly is defining the categories, because what is a storage system "larger than 10 kW"? Seems like there's an "h" factor missing.

Even for category 1, "internal metering devices" could be a Mate3 for instance, but how can a Mate report directly to the utility?

This whole thing is a mess, IMO. I'm still curious, are any other California Wrenches dealing with utility NEM departments for systems with storage in the last few months, and what has been your experience?

>> Official CALSEIA Membership Announcement	Email not displaying correctly?
>> View it in your browser.
>>
>> News Alert
>>
>> Dear CALSEIA Members,
>>

>> Earlier today, the California Public Utilities Commission voted to finalize the decision on the interconnection of solar systems paired with energy storage systems under net metering.
>>
>> First, and most importantly, the decision restores the ability of solar systems paired with storage to qualify under the standard net metering tariff. For the past year, utilities had refused to connect systems with batteries under NEM.
>>
>> However, the decision includes new requirements. It effectively creates three categories of systems.
>>
>> 1. Storage systems smaller than 10 kW maximum output power can be paired with any size solar system and do not have to install a second meter. The associated solar systems will have to report system production to the utility using internal metering devices to make sure NEM credits are only going to solar output and not battery output.
>>
>> 2. Storage systems larger than 10 kW with maximum power output less than 150% of solar system capacity will have to install a second meter at a cost of up to $600 to make sure NEM credits are only going to solar output and not battery output.
>>
>> 3. Storage systems larger than 10 kW with maximum power output more than 150% of solar system capacity will be on the NEM-MT tariff rather than the standard NEM tariff. In addition to the $600 meter, they will have to pay an application fee of $800 and could potentially be subject to standby charges and distribution system studies and upgrades. They will still get net metering credits for electricity they put on the grid from the solar system.
>>
>> These limits are an improvement over the limits that were in the proposed decision. The Commission did not include all of CALSEIA's recommendations, but it included some significant movement in the right direction.
>> The threshold between the categories above was changed from 100% to 150% of the paired generator’s output power.
>> A kWh storage limit of the storage system was eliminated (how many hours worth of electricity can be stored).
>> A de-rate formula that would have potentially reduced the value of NEM credits was abandoned.
>> Utilities must refund application fees that were illegally collected over the past year.
>> I would be happy to answer any questions you have with regard to how the conditions in the decision would apply to specific system configurations.
>>
>> Thank you for your help in achieving this decision.
>>

>> Brad Heavner
>> Policy Director, CALSEIA
>> www.calseia.org
>> Copyright © 2014 CALSEIA, All rights reserved.

Bruce Erickson
Mendocino Solar Service
PO Box 1252
Mendocino, CA 95460
707-937-1701
707-937-1741 fax
bruce at mendocinosolar.com

Celebrating 20 Years in Solar! 1994-2014