[RE-wrenches] Combining Multiple Inverters

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Jun 30 12:14:20 PDT 2014

Bill,

I would be happy to contribute.

Regarding the 120% rule, I'm not sure I agree. There can be panelboards
connected in series in a supply side connection, and there can be loads in
PV inverter aggregation panels used in supply-side connections.​ For
example, it is common to install a dedicated outlet circuit for monitoring
gateways in microinverter system aggregation panels.

This below is compliant, and would have the same need for the 120% rule as
a load side connection if I understand the rationale correctly
(notwithstanding the way each code cycle is organized):

Supply<-->Fusible Disconnect<-->Aggregation Panel<-->Sub-Aggregation
Panels<-->PV Inverters and Loads

​I'm not up to speed on the 2014 changes, so I'm really just talking about
the changes from 2008 to 2011, which seem to have moved in the direction of
applying 705.12(D)(1)-(7) to both load- and supply-side ​interconnected
systems in 2011, whereas 690.64(B)(1)-(7) in 2008 clearly applied to
load-side connections only.

Are you saying 705.12(D)(1)-(7) in 2011 apply to load-side connections
only? That's not the way I interpret it.

Jason Szumlanski

​Fafco Solar​