[RE-wrenches] Shattered Evergreen ES-160-SL Module, DPW TOP rack

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Jun 21 15:53:14 PDT 2014

As noted in the previous case,  the shattered module is on the bottom
corner.  Those are the most vulnerable to damage from animals, kids,
vehicles, etc.  The tempered glass always shatters as you described,
when enough force is applied.  Look very closely for some slight bending
of the frame which would indicate that it was hit by something.  Grazing
animals like to scratch their sides on things, and the array might have
been just the right height for a scratching post.  1000 lb animal leans
on module, and boom, the module shatters completely.
We've had pole mount systems in place for decades, so its very unlikely
that its an issue with the frame itself.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician