[RE-wrenches] Module Degradation - voltage or current?

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 20:49:10 PDT 2014

Dana,

Excellent question.

More than 20 years of PV degradation research conducted by NREL and others has shown the dominant loss to be in the Isc and fill-factor aspects of PV performance due to increasing effective series resistance.   Voc stays essentially stable over the life of the PV module.  Vmp will decrease over time depending on the severity of the impact on fill factor.  With 0.5% average annual degradation in PV wattage, and attributing [say] 80% of the wattage reduction to a decrease in current, the balance of the difference would be a reduction in Vmp.

A copy of one such study is here.

www.nrel.gov
Document: Photovoltaic Degradation Rates - An Analytical Review
By: Dirk C. Jordan and Sarah R. Kurtz
Journal Article NREL/JA-5200-51664, June 2012
Contract No. DE-AC36-08GO28308

Dan Lepinski