[RE-wrenches] Solar World shattered module

Nick Soleil nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com
Mon Apr 21 16:47:11 PDT 2014

Hi David,

I've seen this a lot of times, and it was always caused by the diode
failing, which caused the diode to get very hot and would result in the
glass shattering.  This was often obvious because the area around the diode
would become black and the module j-box would sometimes begin to melt.

One time I was replacing one of these modules and burned my finger on the
glass near the diode.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Dave Palumbo
<dave at independentpowerllc.com>wrote:

> Wrenches,
>

> I have a customer with one SW 230 poly V2.0 frame (top mount) module that
> has shattered glass. It is on a DPW TPM10 pole mount. She noticed it the
> other day and does not think that it was hit by anything. I agree that is
> unlikely based on the site conditions.
>

> Other than by a falling tree, thrown rock, or twisted frame – is there
> another way that glass shatters on a 65 degree tilted pole mount like this?
>  We installed the system 2 years ago. The module was on the lower corner of
> the array.
>
> ·         Is it likely that this modules frame was being pressured by the
> module(s) above it? TPM has two rows of 5 modules in landscape, so this
> bottom module has 4 modules mounted above it. Again it is a top mounted DPW
> pole array.
>
> ·         Or, is there another way that glass shatters on this type of
> module?
>
> I have not visited the site yet, just received the phone call today.
>

> David Palumbo
>
> Independent Power LLC
>
> 462 Solar Way Drive
>
> Hyde Park, VT 05655
>
> (802) 888-7194

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Cordially,

*Nick Soleil*

*Field Applications Engineer*

*Enphase Energy*

Mobile: (707) 321-2937

<http://enphase.com/enlighten_content/myenlighten-launch-site/?utm_source=MyEnlightenPromo&utm_medium=Email_Sig&utm_campaign=MyEnlighten>

*MyEnlighten is Coming. *Get
Ready<http://enphase.com/enlighten_content/myenlighten-launch-site/?utm_source=MyEnlightenPromo&utm_medium=Email_Sig&utm_campaign=MyEnlighten>

<http://www.enphase.com/commercial?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sig&utm_campaign=Comm2012>

1420 North McDowell

Petaluma, CA 94954

www.enphase.com <http://www.enphaseenergy.com/>

P: (707) 763-4784 x7267

F: (707) 763-0784

E: nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com

NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer #03262011-300

California C10 Licensed Electrician #986315

Texas Master Electrician #284451

 <nsoleil at enphaseenergy.com>

“Don’t get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It’s just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there’s an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it’s wireless!”

- William McDonough

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.