[RE-wrenches] Flashings versus Sealants

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:39:15 PDT 2014

Tom,
Thanks for the information. Specifically which Ruscoe product would you use
on shingle or concrete roofs? We do a lot of flat concrete roofs with wedge
anchors and SnapNRack standoff bases. Ruscoe has a wide range of products,
can you identify the best one you would recommend?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Tom Lane <tom at ecs-solar.com> wrote:

> Education time , Sikaflex is NOT recommended by the manufacturer to use on
> asphalt shingle roofs , no polyurethanes are recommended for asphaltic
> materials and they are not rated above 170 F . Likewise  no silicone
> sealants should be use as they DO NOT STAY ELASTOMERIC . PLEASE read the
> product specifications of the materials you are using . They must stay
> elastomeric from 40 F below zero to 200 F or they are not acceptable .
> Rubber butyl nitrile like Ruscoe www.ruscoe.com are the only type of
> sealants that have UV resistance and stay elastomeric and are rated from 40
> F below zero to 200 F . Do not argue against the product specifications on
> the product data sheets . All L feet and flashings should use a sealant ,
> if you think you can use flashings without a sealant -  GOOD LUCK  - you
> will need it on a rain pouring down a roof with a hard rain blowing up the
> roof . Your job is only to stop leaks and keep high winds from blowing the
> PV modules , solar hot water collectors , o
>  r pool collectors off the roof . You do not create the solar electric
> energy or the thermal power . The roofing work is solely to install the
> product to code and under the PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS of the roof materials
> you are using to prevent damage to the roof and the contents below . Stop
> using urethane sealants and silicone sealants period in harsh environments
> on this planet where they are not specified by the manufacturer on the
> product data sheets would be a beginning . Only lead or copper , aluminum ,
> marine grade stainless steel flashings for piping will last for 100 years .
> Aluminum and copper flashings must be used with the appropriate materials .
> Metal roofs sometimes require EDPM rubber flashings for pipe penetrations
> ,BUT , it must be protected from direct UV light to last 100 years . Gator
> Tom PS : sealants should be under the
> L feet or U channels or flashings on the roof AND over the top of the lag
> bolts , j or hook bolt , or all thread rod bolts nuts .
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts