[RE-wrenches] Myths, Schemes and Scams request

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Apr 13 10:22:24 PDT 2014

Hi Allan;

Sounds like a great presentation, that I would want most customers to
see before even talking to them.
One thing you that might already be covering:  Now that PV modules are
so cheap, many people are assuming a quality installed system goes for
$1/ watt.  I have to bust the myth every day it seems that saving
pennies a watt is really going to make a difference in the total system
cost.  Folks freak out when they find out how much racking, wiring,
disconnects, inverters, batteries, etc cost after picking up some funky
older modules on Ebay.  Often the added cost to match up their odd ball
modules with lower efficiencies, more than eats up the original "savings".
Another would be emerging battery technologies and not buying a good set
of lead acid batteries now.  Li+ is actually getting closer, but for the
past 20 years, folks have wanted to go super cheap with the idea that in
a couple of years some new storage technology they read about in Popular
Science is going to be commercially available.
Oh boy: how bout the wind turbine on the electric vehicle to recharge
while you drive down the road?
or the electric motor powered by the grid that spins a generator to sell
power back to the grid?  That'll stick it to the man.....
Apparently I'm part of the conspiracy to keep these technologies from
the People, me and all my ilk that believe in Physics.....
Or: it's already working, so why do I need all those disconnects, fuses,
expensive connectors, conduit and cable?
Male to Male extension cords, anyone?

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,